Monday, July 5, 2010

Peanut Butter - A Runner's Food

(above) Oatmeal Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

I've spent a good part of my summer running a few miles every couple of days. There is something really nice about running that a lot of people just don't really get. I can see why people hate it, I really can. The biggest reason most people running is that it hurts like hell. I agree wholeheartedly, but to me, that is kind of the reason why I love it so much. Running pushes you to be stronger both mentally and physically; it forces you to go outside your comfort zone to achieve a new level of personal fitness and mental strength. You may be wondering why I am talking so much about running and how in the world it connects to this post. Easy: 1. I am a cross country runner and therefore live and breathe running and 2. peanut butter is an awesome food for runners. Peanut butter gives you the protein and energy necessary for an athlete in training. These cookies have one full cup of peanut butter crammed into them. Eh, maybe just this once we can get away with calling these a health food (when we all know its really... not). Delicious nonetheless.
I've heard that these cookies are comparable to Nutter Butters or Girl Scout Do-si-do cookies. I honestly wouldn't know since I haven't tried either of those. All I know is that these cookies are really really good. The crispiness of the cookie and chewiness of the oatmeal, along with the creamy peanut butter filling gives an explosion of textures and flavors that scream heaven. Are they as good as a runner's high? Unlikely. The only thing that could make these cookies better? Dunking them in chocolate. But then again, chocolate makes everything better.

(above) I baked 12 cookies per tray.

(above) I noticed that a 9 minute baking time will give you crisp cookies while 8 minutes produce chewier cookies.

(above) Peanut butter and butter are key ingredients to the cream filling. I think this is my favorite photo out of this post. Is it weird that I enjoy staring at a photo of peanut butter?
(above) I distributed the cream filling with a makeshift piping bag (a plastic baggie with a corner snipped off). I actually went back and added a bit more filling to the cookies you see above before I sandwiched them together. Be sure to pair up the cookies as best as you can according to shape and size.

(above) The cookies - paired, creamed and sandwiched.

(above) The cookies with their peanut butter cream filling.

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Original recipe from Allrecipes
Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup quick cooking oats
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
2 1/2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 1/2 cup peanut butter, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add egg and beat well.
  2. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add these dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir. Add oatmeal and stir.
  3. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto greased baking sheet, and press each mound down with a fork to form 1/4 inch thick cookies. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 minutes, or until cookies are a light brown.
  4. To Make Filling: Cream 3 tablespoons butter or margarine with the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, and the cream. Spread filling onto half of the cooled cookies, then top with the other half to form sandwiches.

Notes: I used milk instead of the cream and reduced the amount to around a tablespoon plus a little more.


4 comments:

  1. I linked to your blog from foodgawker and I'm so glad- these cookies look amazing, I've been searching for a good recipe like this to make for my dad and I,both runners and peanut butter lovers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to try these!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are as good as how they look :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea! Yummy cookie sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete