Thursday, July 8, 2010

An Apple A Day

(above) Applesauce.

It's my birthday and I'm not baking a cake. Surprised? I am. But I have a valid reason! I'm going on vacation in two days and there is no way I or my family can finish an entire cake in that period of time. So, the birthday-cake-baking will have to be delayed. On that note, since I'm going to be away, I won't be blogging for a week or two. However, despite the lack of cake, I still have a birthday dinner which involves honey-glazed ham. To accompany the ham, I made apple sauce. For many of us, I am sure, applesauce was probably the first food we ever ate. Baby food aside, applesauce has many uses whether it be in baking or as an accompaniment to a savory dish. However, feel free to season the applesauce with cinnamon or nutmeg and eat it right out of the bowl. It makes a great breakfast and goes well mixed in oatmeal or eaten with yogurt.
Site note: This is my 25th post on this blog! How about that? Now I have two things to celebrate today!

(above) Wash and dry apples.

(above) Peel apples and spritz with lime or lemon juice to keep the apples from browning.

(above) Dice the apples into chunks (mine were around 0.75 inch squares in size).

(above) Heat a pot filled up with enough water to cover the apples. Once the water is boiling, pour in the apple chunks and let them cook for around 10 minutes or until tender.

(above) Drain the apples and let them cool until they are warm in temperature. Pour them into a blender and blend until smooth. Add sugar and lemon juice to taste.
(above) Applesauce

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa!

    When the page loaded and my eyes landed on your first picture, I let out an audible gust of air. Your pictures are so pretty! The red of the apples comes through really well too in your second picture.

    I haven't been blogging as frequently as I would have liked because I'm away as well!

    Can't wait until you take up blogging again!

    ReplyDelete