Saturday, March 27, 2010

Aussie Aussie Aussie! (Oi Oi Oi!)

(above) Lamingtons - Australian sponge cakes with chocolate icing and coconut.

This was my second attempt at making lamingtons. This first time I made them, I admit it, I was too stingy with the icing. If you want good lamingtons, drench them in icing for true om-nom-nom-ness.
(above) The first set of lamingtons that were rather skimpy on the icing.
Lamingtons are Australian sponge cakes (traditionally in the shape of a cuboid) that are coated with chocolate icing an coconut. I was inspired by Youtuber robjnixon (aka. Nicko)'s video on lamingtons, which can be found below this post, and decided to give it a try.
I started off with store bought cupcakes (yes, I cheated, but so did Nicko) and sliced them in half.
(above) Store bought cupcakes, sliced in half

The cakes were then drizzled with copious amounts of chocolate icing and then sprinkled generously with coconut. I had give the shredded coconut a whizz in the food processor to achieve the desired consistency. Wait for a while for the icing to set up, and then serve! This would be perfect for a birthday party or bakesales.

(above) The final product - lamingtons, after being drenched in icing and sprinkled with coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment