(above) The bottom layer of the slice after it is baked.
(above) So you take the above...
(above) ... and your slice (take a look at that! Look at the layers of shortbread cookie base, caramel and chocolate).
(above) ...and do this.
(above) Store the slice away and keep it in the fridge.
Chocolate Caramel Slice
Makes 1 13x9 pan
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
1 1/3 cup self-raising flour
170g butter, melted
2 tablespoons golden syrup
395g (1 can) sweetened condensed milk
175 g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius fan-forced). Grease a 20cm square cake pan and line the base and sides of the pan with baking paper.
- Prepare the base. Combine brown sugar, coconut, and flour together in a large bowl until well combined. Add butter and mix until well combined. Firmly press mixture into prepared pan using the back of a spoon. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned and slightly risen. Set base aside to cool for about 10-20 minutes (while making caramel). Leave oven on.
- Prepare the caramel. Place butter and golden syrup in a medium, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When butter has melted, add condensed milk. Stir constantly over medium heat for about 9-12 minutes, until caramel thickens.
- Gently spread caramel evenly over base. Return to oven for a further 10-12 minutes (a 1/2cm border of lightly browned caramel should form around the edges of the slice). Set the pan aside to cool to room temperature
- Melt the chocolate chips using a microwave or double boiler and spread it over the caramel. Put it in the fridge for 20 - 30 minutes or until the chocolate has just set up.
- Take the slice out of the pan and cut into pieces. Store the slice in the fridge.
This recipe was adapted from excusivelyfood.com.au. The original recipe can be found here.